Wednesday, November 22, 2006

What does Atiriri mean?

Ok, so my bestest friend in this America is a Bongo sister. She thinks she's the queen's daughter and I love her so I humour her. Don't ask which queen, it's all in her head. Recently my bongo sister hooked up with a Bongo brother. Good for both of them. They make a good pair. This fellow is a little scared of me. I have no idea why. Well, maybe I looked at him with suspicion when he walked into our pretty picture, but what did he expect? Girls have to look out for one another. There are some loose fellows out there. One has to be sure of whom they welcome into their space.

So anyway, after a few encounters I gave him the stamp of approval and now I would drive her across the state to see him. Ok, maybe halfway. The point is, I support the union. He's still petrified. Maybe he should man up.
So even though I'm ndani, he is trying to win my good graces. One of the things he does is say, gleefully and quite loudly, "Aterere!" everytime he sees me. Bongo princess thinks its funny. I'm indifferent. Maybe that's why he thinks I don't like him. So the other day when we were in the same space I broke the news to him. I told him! I told him how "Atiriri" (true spelling btw, with accents on every 'i') is not a greeting, nor is it a term of affection or endearment. He was crushed. Ati, "when I was in Kenya I used to hear a lot of people saying that. Kwani what does it mean?" Blackout. I just stood there looking at him with a blank look on my face. So finally I told him it means 'ehhhhh'. He was not convinced.

I am a Kiyuyu speaking Kikuyu and I cannot find a sound translation for 'Atiriri'. If you know please help me out. Is it not a spacer in a sentence? Like that "ehhhhh" I was telling him about? Or maybe the pause we use in English? Ama something close to the "nini" we use in swa when we are buying time to construct the sentence or remember what we want to say? When I use it in a sentence it seems to be like a "tell me of this.... The 'this' being the 'aterere'.

These are some of the words I'm talking about when I tell mzungus that some words and phrases cannot be translated.

What does Atiriri mean?

P.S
So I'm off to the ATL to see what this is Kenyans do there over Thanksgiving weekend. I shall be quiet for a while. My tua ends on Tuesday. Someone at work suggested I come back Saturday night so as to be ready and fresh for work on Monday. Kicheko!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing as I dont speak kuyo I am of no use to you in your quest. But I have to give that dude marks when it comes to brown nosing, he wants to make sure that everyone is on his side!
I too am in the A, we'll see how it goes; I'm taking things one bash at a time!

Don_quixote said...

sad, i would have liked to help, but after hanging around enough kuyos to jua words like the F* word, i would think that is what it means, sort of a pause in what some one is saying. I give the jamma props.The vetting proccess with my pals is hectic,i have to say some guys go to great lengths though, too many laughs i tell you, but enyewe atiriri!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Atiriri...Niwega niguka Blog yakwa...That rite there is a is a thing to be envied,the tua that is...Have loads of eeerrthing gud.
Ei that mu-guys is oriji...ati snuggle up to you b4 gettin the price:Now that righthere is Stra-Te-Gee!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

I'm back from Atl. Well, not quite 100%, but enough to funtion at jobo for the next kadha hours. Got back and drove straight to jobo. I will regret this.

Anonymous said...

My guess is Atiriri is an attention grabber. The nearest English equivalent is "I say, ol' chap, ...", "hey buddy, ..." or even "Chief!" :-)

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@Aco, that dude is a chap of PR. He knows I know about every move he makes. Ebu he kaaz chonjo.
@Don_q, I am simply revenging for the time she had my back. Left alone we can do some silly things, or chaps. Hehehehehe.....
@Bantutu, cool name btw, you know I had a blast. Hanging loose and enjoting the company of miros. i love my people!
@Anonymous, ebu 1st you declare yourself. I think you are onto something. I'm thinking also it is to grab the attention. Like, "ebu you listen to this thing I want to say".

Anonymous said...

I posted under Anon in case I was WAAY off :-). Almost very culture has an attention-grabbing "Psst" in case you're zoobing.

bomseh said...

atiriri is just a polite way of starting a sentence. it doesn't just sound right saying something like,"niuguthii duka kugurira* madathi" but if you put the atiriri before the sentence it sounds more polite. that is what i think. i'm not 100%kyuk so i am not sure. i think it is also to grab someone's attention when you want a favour from them. over and out!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@ Erickarn, feel no fear to air your honest thoughts here. What's the worst that can happen? I delete it? I'm easy.

@ Bomseh, that one is a good theory. I will ask the folks.

Anonymous said...

Atiriri basically indicates that you are beginning to speak and have something to say. For example, if you are in a group talking and wish to say something you may begin with "Atiriri". When you have people's attention you then proceed to say what you wanted to say.

Anonymous said...

Closest I've found has been the old English word "Lo!" Second would be "Behold" As a mugikuyu myself (no ndaciariirwo U.S.), I've often wondered how to translate such a word, and those are the best I've discovered

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Perfect description! That matches what I have always been taught and how I have heard it used in gatherings.

Anonymous said...

Geyy

Anonymous said...

Atiriri... Is like saying now