Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Atlanta mwisho!

I bought a ticket to Atlanta for Thanksgiving. I've been here four years now and I'm just now getting around to it. Better late than never. I want to see what all the hullaballoo is about. I am excited about this trip, much more than I have been about others to more facsinating places like Las Vegas or Washington DC. This trip has little to do with the location and more to do with the people. See, I have a date with old friends. A big date. A few dozen primary school and high school buddies is a big date. We have been exchanging frantic emails and phonecalls about deals on tickets and hotels, car rentals and ETAs. It has been crazy. Did you know that sometimes it is cheaper to buy 2 one way tickets as opposed to one return? I saved $100 with that little trick. Good for me.

The arrangements are now finalized so now I can sit back and ponder a few things. Like how much all of us have changed. I bumped into a lad from those innocent days earlier this year and was amazed to see how good those big eyes we used to tease him about look on him now. The handsome bugger! Of course he was just as tickled by the "humps" under my clothes. Silly boy....(giggling). Ehh...Where was I? Changes. Yes.

I am hoping that some in particular have changed intelectually. Please dear God! I have heard of spiritual changes. Madam C.U chairlady will have a drink on me, for the record. Then I will proceed to remind her of that little incident when she proclaimed that my shoes bore the mark of the devil. I foresee denial. We'll laugh about it and move on. Unless she still believes that crap, then I shall have to engage her in a debate and attempt to demonstrate that with time, and energy, any writings can become the mark of the devil when you "change the letter to its number in the alphabet, add 4, minus 12, divide by 8, times 1" and so on and so forth. Try it. Make FUBU become 666. She did.

There are those who were good friends and made school a blast. I cannot wait to catch up with them, without the restrictions of school rules, curfew and uniforms. We have already agreed that the events of the weekend are to remain were they happen and mum's the word. Deep down we all know that is a rumour. Others who cannot make it have already placed their bids for the low-down.

I am most eager to encouter those who made life in high school more difficult than it needed to be. Some were just random bullies, others were over zealous prefects with huge chips on their shoulders. (Before anyone accuses me of hating on prefects, I was one, but I was not an ass). I remember one in particular who cried for days after she was appointed prefect of the dining hall. When the well finally run dry she proceeded to unleash a wrath of bibilical magnitude on everything within the school boundaries. I want to bump into her so badly. I have prayed for such an encounter for a few years now. This is what I want to ask her, "Are you still a prefect?". Is that a bad question?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wacha I be honest, I think to some extent Thanksgiving in ATL is over rated but maybe it is because I am not a club/crowd person per se. But if you want to hang out with masses and masses of Kenyans it is the place to be.
I have never seen so many Kenyans in one place in my life, so much so the club was closed as it had too many people in it!
But it is a good thing to catch up with peeps, whenver I go to Kenyan clubs I always catch up with peeps I knew from way back when.
Have a ball and who knows we may even run into each other!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Aco, we just might. How would we know though? I am ready for whatever. I hope I have a good time. That's all that matters. At Sevens one of the clubs was too packed to enter, so we invaded the country type joint next to it. Those mzungus had no idea what happened. All of a sudden the room was full of thirsty Kenyans partying like it was 1963. Good times I tell you.

Anonymous said...

i knew there was something wrong with those shoes the day you brought them home,RISWA!SHIDWO!