Monday, November 20, 2006

Why is this strange?

This past weekend somebody asked me why I am still single. We were chilling at the most recent Genge party, bobbing our heads to Jua Kali's "Kiasiiiiii" and having a jolly good time. This young man whom I have known for a while now was asking many personal questions and wanting to know intimate details about me. Now, I have no issues talking to this my friend about myself, but I wanted to know where the conversation was going. I figured, if I knew the destination, then I could decide whether or not I wanted to take the journey. He finally told me that he was curious to know why a nice mama with her head screwed on tight had remained single for so long.

This is a tough question to answer. For many reasons. Some of my answers would definately result in me being accused of being a male basher, which contrary to what a lot of people think, I am not. Most of the reasons, however, are simple and straight forward. Reasons like the fact that I am yet to find that person who makes it all come together, so to speak. Or my preference for men who call Zamunda home. That one presents a real challenge. The options, outside of Zamunda, are limited and and quite frankly, the ones I know of are damaged goods. That's another storo altogether.

My soundest reason, however, has to do with a question I constantly ask myself when presented with a potential mate. "Would I leave this chap alone with my father?" All of my options right now fall under the NO category, with regards to this question, not that other issue I was on about earlier. As a result I have decided I will not bother. There is no need to waste anybody's time. Least of all my own. My dear friend was particularly interested in this reason. First he wanted to know if I would leave him alone with my father. Response, "No switi, not with that hair and especially not with your pants falling off your ass". He thought that was funny. Good, but I was being serious. So then he wanted to know why my father would come up in my choice of potencial mates. Ati, "kwani you're looking for a husband?" At this point the DJ shocked us with Bad Boy by Amani and I run off to join my pals on the dance floor. That discussion died. Until we meet again.

Here is my question. Is it strange that I think the way I do? I cannot begin to tell you just how much I value the opinion of my people when it comes to choice of mates. I have seen my mother call out a girlfriend that my dear brother thought was 'the one' with such precision. I suspect he shall forever be indebted to dear mama for that one. Ms Thing turned out to be quite the specimen. A cousin of mine ignored the pleas of the men in the family to put off marrying her chap for a little longer. They claimed something was up with him, they just couldn't put their finger on it. She showed up on her father's doorstep not long after the wedding looking like she had been used for target practice.

This is why I ask myself that question. See, if the answer is no, it means I can already think of reasons why I should not be with the young man in question. So then again I ask, why bother? If the answer is yes, then I know that according to my own vetting process, this young man is a good one. He can now meet my father who will tell me if he agrees. Surely this is reasonable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you seem to have had a lot of male protection when younger it only makes sense that you would seek the approval of the main man who protected you, in your case your father.
I see you are a mama who keeps it real and local.I am so ashamed, it's about time I stopped tapping Tiffany's ass.
I do agree when you are out here long term material is hard to come by esp if you are pro Zamunda!
But I do think that family are a good vetting system as was shown by the story you gave of your pal.Roho safi, I get a mama; she has to meet mummy dearest.

Don_quixote said...

I agree 100% but the poor guy who will finaly have to sit down with my dad(i do so feel for the guy enyewe) being my dads daughter i know what will be coming, but that is a proccess that will not be over looked. why people find such a request wierd is wierd, those who know you best will be able to see things that you over look in the haste and name of "love and affection"

Girl next door said...

Your method of screening guys by deciding whether you'd leave them alone with your father is rather original. It makes perfect sense too! There's no point in being with someone just for the sake of being a couple (nothing scary about being single), there has to be a standard. Sometimes when you tell people the truth, they don't take it seriously.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@Aco? unless Tifanny is in agreement, STOP tapping her ass! I am pro Zamunda. I like my African brothers!

@Don-q, men know each other. My bros and pops can smell a rat that I have managed to overlook.

@girl n d, You took the words right out my mouth. I would sooner be single for another 2 years (And counting) than mess with crap. Sun is still shining.