Monday, December 04, 2006

Sweet smelling ceremonies.

One of my good friends is a Mkamba. Down to the marrow. She is super intelligent and destined for great things, but colours have defeated her. I have seen her wear a pink top with a yellow bandana and go off to the mall. Poor sweet. We enjoy taunting each other about our tribal tendencies and the strange behaviours of our respective tribesmen. It's a lot of fun, cures homesickness and helps to ground us while we are away from home. Occasionally these sessions result in "Ala!" moments. Someone will say something about a customary practice that the rest of us knew nothing about and we all go home tickled, but a little wiser.

Recently my Mkamba sister presented us with a storo that won 1st place in the "what the *$#@!!!" category of our dealings. I will share. She attended a wedding in her home village and found herself in the middle of a strange practice. Apparently in this village it is not enough to throw rice at each other at the end of the wedding ceremony. Oh no! There were two people posted at the doors of the church, armed with cans of Tahiti and Matador deo spray. These two proud workers were responsible for spraying everybody who walked past with a dose of the sweet frangrances.

My question to her then, and to all who have witnessed or participated in this practice is this, "For why?" Surely! She is bila answers for me, hence I am reluctant to attend her looming nuptials. I mean, its bad enough to be pelted with rice by cheeky children, to be sprayed with Tahiti...!! Ahhhhhhhh, no thanks!

7 comments:

spicebear said...

i have died laughing with that story ... tahiti and matador? i think you have just made my afternoon. that was too hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Now that made my day! I was actually remembering those pathetic deos the other day!
But our diff tribes in kenya all have their crazy rites and habits!

mama shady said...

kenyans never cease to amaze me!deo!im sure theres some deep relevance in that act...somewhere!yet again...maybe not!the last wedding i went to was one where a nigerian girl got married and it is their custom to 'spray' cash on the bride!lakini her bride maids were chonjo!they collected te monies real quick!
but that i think is a custom i can think about welcoming!

Anonymous said...

LMAO, i would have died, kenyans with them funny customs its amazing. Now that nigerian bash where cash is sprayed i would have no qualms showing up to as long as its not loonies they will be spraying lol.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Kenyans are special people.

Anonymous said...

Noma noma!! hihi!! Ati Tahiti na matador....
Lol@ Yellow bandana pink oufit...

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Enyewe even I have heard about those money gifts our Oga friends give each other at weddings. Maybe I should find myself a broda.