Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Encounters with the African male

I love to spend time with my fellow Africans. I do. When I am in the presence of my African brothers and sisters I feel at ease. I dont need to explain, justify or interpret things to them. We are basically the same.

Or are we? Women of Africa, what has been your experience with your own men compared to those from other African countries? Now, I have not lived long enough in the village to claim expertise on the male-female relations there (which I am sure further differ depending on where you are and what community you're looking at), but based on my experience as an urban Kenyan woman, even though things can be improved, I believe I have it breezy compared to some of my counterparts around the continent.

Exhibit 1.
I used to have a friend from Nigeria. The reason I say 'used to' is because we broke off the friendship. He would get so angry every time I disagreed with him about random stuff. I on the other hand would be so tickled I couldn't wait for the next thing to "defy" him about.

One time he asked me to accompany him to his company christmas party. He was without a date. I was game. On the day of the party I called him to ask for directions to the hotel. He told me to stay put, he would pick me up. I explained that I might need to leave early (plan with the girls) and I did not want him to have to leave too. His words, "Woman, what is the matter with you? Why can't you behave and do as you're told?" I hang up to shangaa. When he called back he was seething with anger. "How dare you hang up on a man! Who do you think you are?" I hang up to shangaa some more. He called back, and I could tell he was trying hard not to insult me. He composed himself long enough to explain that my actions were unacceptable. Apparently I needed to be put straight. "African women follow instructions, they dont ask questions.....". I hang up to look for that all important memo that I had clearly misplaced. That memo about the DOs and DONTs of an African woman's behaviour.

After kedo 1/2 an hour he called back. Me thinks he was unable to find a plan B date. Anyway, I told him I was not feeling in a Christmassy mood anymore. Silence. Then mumblings that souded like an apology. Some loose negotiations later, I had my directions and had laid down my rules of engagement. Oga! Unleash one more sexist remark and watch me walk. I guess he decided to deal with my insubordination at a later date.

Later that night I did walk. I excused myself to go to the bathroom and proceeded to leave and go join my girls at the Kenyan bash.

Exhibit 2.
On Sato I went to an African hanye. It has been a while since we have had one of those in my town so I was syked. As soon I walked in I was in The Zone. The DJ was bouncing around every corner of the continent with his music and the dance floor was full of delighted Africans. That always puts me in The Zone.

So I'm chilling with the girls and this fellow catches my eye. He can dance, he looks good. So far so good. Finally he says wasup, tells me he's from Burundi and proceeds to offer to buy me a drink. "No thank you". He asks why. I give him the whole, "I'm driving back home alone so really I'm good. Thank you." The chap flips. Ati I'm ringaing to take his drink. "Kunywa bia! Kunywa ndio tuongee." I step away from the crazy person. He continues, "Mwanamke mwenye matatizo huyu! Eti hanywi bia? Kwani kuna nini? Wanawake wa Kenya wana kasoro hawa."

The night finally comes to an end. The psycho is still lamenting at my declining to have his drink. I grab my jacket and begin to make my way out when someone grabs me. When I turn around, there is a rather large black man holding my arm real tight. I kindly ask for my arm back. He lets go and begins to explain that he is the promoter. I wonder what he promotes and why I should care. I guess the blank look on my face was prompting enough so he explains further. He's from Burundi and he organises this party and the ones at the other spot (no idea where it is btw). Ahhhhh! I pat his shoulder and tell him how greatful we all are for his good work, then turn to walk away.

Someone grabs my arm. Its the same big black man. This time he shoves a cell phone in my face. I tell him it's not mine. "I know. Its mine". I'm very confused. "Put your number!" I raise my eyebrow. He takes my hand, shoves his phone into it and says impatiently, "put your name and your number!" Then he continues to talk to his boys. I'm stunned. After a while, he turns around, takes his phone back and proceeds to look for my number. My girls pull me out of the door before I can apologise for being too busy luxuriating in his self-importance to punch in the numbers. I wonder what names he called me after that. Or what will happen the next time I run into him (looking like this Sato btw). Ah well...

19 comments:

bantutu said...

Hehehehe! Rest 'o' y'all kobes "can't touch this!!"(Relevant if you rememba MC HAMMER)...

Yani Proud you've invited Dorcas!!

bantutu said...

No Kidding!! Yani proud yu amaze mwa and I would be lying if I proceeded to give you the reason why...
All I know is that Nigerian guy needed manners...which if you rememba, Bantu has plenty of and that Burundi guy dared to approach you because you overwhelmed his hormone(s)...
African male likes African female nonetheless very much...so keep mingling Utaangukia Ushtuke!!

Dorcas Alias Word verification has started bitching...
Take 2..

Juju said...

lol! generally, I have found Westo men very unbecoming!! Whatsmore, I have been told they find Kenyan women very kichwa ngumu. Funny thing, I thought Westo mamas were the obstinate ones, vile they have mdomos. Lakini after long interaction with them, I have found that as loud as they are, they listen to their man, and he the boss. (I know these are generalizations... its my observation iz all)

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@Bantu, sasa Dorcas ni nani and how do I know her? Ati I amaze you? Kwani nimefanya? I am just giving you snipets of experiences in my travels through life. Seems I am a magnet for maize. I am seriously considering taking a lesbian lover.

@Majonzi, I have been told the same thing. Ati Kenyan mamas are spoilt. Hwareiva men!! Oga mamas talk big lakini when a man checks into the picture, unyenyekevu! I have seen it with my own eyes. Ashana naye.

CiikuMrsBabes said...

Oh dear Jesus.
Why am I not surprised??

Me and my buddy have always stated that Nijos should stick with Nijos. They have an "interesting" understanding amongst them!

And please... I will be back to read about the Burundi dude.. lol

Don_quixote said...

Lol, pole sana dear, i was once a victim, you when you tell some one your name and they mispronounce it and you correct then am they suprsing get MAD ati woman!!! i know am sying it right eish!!!!! i passed out laughing needless to say guy was madder than hell. Other incidents have been worse, but the burindi dude YUSUFU!! wtf.
Ati kenyan women have maringo lol well maybe just maybe there is a tinsy bit of truth there ;).

@Bantu dorcas says maruvati aki word verification is just a pain in the halaa halaa***you know there***

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Kwani there is an alternate universe of language I have not been introduced to? Who T F is Dorcas!!!!
@ Movie buff, Naijas are special people. That's all I'm saying.

@ Don_Q, why do they get so mad? Peeps need to relaxanga kiasiiiii....

Princess said...

I can totally relate to this post..I have been grabbed in much the same number by someone from that region and was told to provide my cell number and when I refused I was insulted and told how Kenyan women are useless blah..blah..blah!!!

I have so many crazy stories about men from this region that could fill a book!!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

LOL. I love it! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one puzzled by this practice.

Ati Kenyan women are useless, have marindo, feel hot!!! If expecting some respect and refusing to take s**t is maringo, SIGN ME UP motha soka!!

The Pen-Lord said...

he he he now the quoting word for word at the Burundian's or it Burundese's? outburst is mad funny. i have to say, some brothers try too hard, obvously they dont know of the strategy 'holding on by letting go'

Unyc said...

Lol...that cracked me up! Esp the 'promoter' at the door....
I wld have a ball with such men coz if u show me kichwa i'll gv u kichwa. Roho safi.
But i agree, Kenyan mama's we r proud as hell. Tell them our Kenyan men love us like that.

Ichiena said...

ati dude thrust his phone into your hand and expected you to key in your digits! Damn.

My worst experience has been someone trailing me in the streets of Nai because he realised we hail from the same corner of earth. For 40 minutes! And he was Kenyan.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@ Ici, Stalker!!! Kwanza in Nai that is cause for concern. What if you had wikad "MWIZIIII"? Stupid person.

@Restless mind, A chap flipping coz I will not drink with him... Kwani I've 'just cleared'?What was he hoping would happen after I consume the bia? Kubaff!

@Unyc, Enyewe we have kidogo maringo. I think it's coolo. Sets us apart from the rest.

Acolyte said...

Dang! I am late like whoa!
West Africans are on their own levels. They are like bulls, they push relentlessly.
As for having to accept pints, it is your choice. Let those dudes kaa with their pliant women!
Oga oga kitu gani! Lol!

Nakeel said...

Yeah have taken that Kenyan women kichwa ngumu several times.

Ati the stupid promoter was expecting you to type in your no. would have cued the customer care of my provider.
So he wanted to start promoting you also ama? There are some brodas who expect Kenyans to waste time with them? I cant stand them its no hate just a drawn line.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@Aco, thank you for having the back of an obstinate Kenyan woman. Ladies, we are good. As long as our own chaps think we are ok, we are ok.

@Nakeel, I wish I could show you this chap. Reminded all of us of Idi Amin Dada. Clearly even his traits match.

My mission now is to find some of their women and ask them how this works. I am perplexed.

Chatterly said...

Damn that is so grossss! Dude talks crap like that and still expects you to ongelesha him?! goodness gracious! and the dude ordering you to punch your numbers on his cell? haiya?!

Anonymous said...

Did someone say they are considering taking a lesbian lover? Can I watch?

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

You watch. At this rate what is a girl to do? Plan B.