Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What I have learned so far.

It is a new year so HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. I hope this one brings you countless goodies and then some (gosh I'm kasumbarized). Anyway, may you all be blessed this year and those to come.

I have been away from home exactly 4 years now. It was this week in 2003 that I hopped on a jet plane and made my way to sunny California. Ati for further studies. I have studied further alright, but most of my learning has happened outside the classroom. Everyday away from home has been like a double lesson in the school of life. Some lessons have been easy, fun even, but most have been tough. Some have been cold and painful, and even though I am glad I managed to salvage a moral from those stories, I wish they hadn't been so harsh. Lakini that's life, and it must go on.

Allow me to share some of the things I have learned so far.

1. A man is a man is a man. It does not matter where he comes from, what colour his skin is, what language he speaks. If he is kind and caring and considerate, good for him. If he is a 'not so good' one, he would have been even if he was born in Masawa, Katichini sub-location, Oyugis division, Rachuonyo district, Nyanza Province. Kenya. I am a believer in the power of nurture over nature, but I also know bad parenting abounds worldwide. The same applies to women.

2. People treat me the way I allow them to treat me. If I am known to take a lot of crap, I will receive a lot of crap. So I feel free to let those around me know that respect for me is a requirement, not a suggestion.

3. No amount of "good life" can ever replace home. Freeways, super malls, nice cars and High Speed Internet are nice to have around. Family, friends, community and perks like 'mahindi choma', 'nyama choma', 'auntie saloon', 'kuku pono', na kadhalika are kidogo cool too.

4. Talking badly about home and its problems does not make them go away, does not help those on the ground and is ill advised since I left my family and friends there.

5. I know a lot of people. Only a handful of those are my true friends. The rest are merely acquaintances that serve the purpose of company and good laughs once in a while. When things are thick, I can only count on myself, my family and those 4 or so people who I can say truly care. This does not make me sad any more. In any case, in the eyes of others, I can only guess where I fall if the same criteria were applied to me.

6. Fast food is an express lane to an early grave. Eating healthy is not rocket science. A fruit, a mboga here and there and spending some time in the kitchen is not as difficult as many make it seem. It's my body, my health.

7. I need to do more exercise. I will try.

8. Sales people, fine print, awards programmes and silly contests all have one thing in common. They want to take my money. I must resist their attempts at all costs.

9. I have a home. I realise that the natives of my current dwelling place do not believe this and think I am here to stay. They have no idea. I came from somewhere. Should I feel weary and in need of some comfort in the form of familiar faces, places and customs, I have memorised the airport code of my desired destination.

10. I have a responsibility to myself and my family. The same applies to my community and even my country. Others worked hard to get me where I am today, I must do the same for somebody else.

11. Maize and corn are two very different crops. I can work with corn for now, but in my ideal world I would have maize. It has more bite.

12. Miros who say "pass me the salsa" do not deserve the kachumbari served to them to accompany their nyama. Those who think it is progressive to call a Chapati a Tortilla should have their passports confiscated.

13. I should spend less time in front of the TV, more time outside the house and no time stroking the egos of people who do not deserve my airtime.

14. Contrary to what many think, engaging in intellectual debate about world affairs is NOT a waste of time. It is good and should be encouraged in all circles.

15. Times have changed. The recent hanging of one Saddam Hussein should be eye opener for all mankind.

16. An accent is only as good as the location its owner. Should the silly mama who keeps commenting about mine visit my home town, SHE would have an accent. When I attend a Genge party, there are no accents. Well, there are those disturbing miros who insist on twenging when they talk to the rest of us. Wisdom is a gift. Not all are bestowed such.

20 comments:

Princess said...

I totally agree with 1 through 6, 10, 14 and 15!!

Princess said...

Happy New Year!!

Don_quixote said...

Shakes head in total agreement. Happy new to you too dear, may it be all that you want it to be.

Juju said...

happy new year!!!

Pekiro said...

Thats a very gd piece of advise 2 all Kenyans in diaspora. East or West, Home is best. Jivunia kuwa Mkenya, build Kenya.
Happy new year.

Life is a Promise not a Debt said...

I like this and I totally understand what you're saying when you talk about only having a handful of friends over there. One of my greatest girlfriends has been away for close to 8 years now. We still talk, we're still thicker than thieves, we still cry on the phone, laugh and do most of the things that girlfriends do but I feel her sadness over a home that seems so far away, her nostalgia for the way things used to be..but I also feel proud of her...the things she has achieved and the bigger things that are in store for her.

Enjoy corn, tortillas, the hotdog stands and have a wonderful 007.

Ichiena said...

HNY! This is a timam post. Hear hear on 2 and 5.

Lakini - for real guys refer to kachumbari as salsa and chapos as tortillas!

Anonymous said...

A post after my own heart!
1. I have tried to point this one out to all my gal pals who insist on bunching men according to skin color.
3. I so feel you on this, nothing beats home at the end of the day.
4. These kind of Kenyans make me sick, if you arent doing anything about it but hiding abroad then you need to shut the hell up.
5. We are in the same boat. Real friends are hard to come by and must be appreciated.
6. I have limited my takeout to one meal per week. The less eaten the better for me.Plus one annual viewing of supersize me.
8. The only commitment I have is a 2 year cell phone contract, don't ask me what I was thinking!
9. I am enjoying the states but at the end of the day I will go home, and it wont be via a free ticket coutresy of DHS.
10. I agree with you and I am working on this too.
11. I agree 200%!
12. If it is kachumbari call it that, if it is salsa call it salsa.No substitutes.
14. The problem is finding people who know enough of what is going on around the world to debate with.
16. Those people piss me off, almost as much as those Kenyans who insist on wenging with atrocious accents to fellow Kenyans.

bantutu said...

Case I havent sed it>>
HAPPI NU YEAR!!!!
Ok. am at no. 3....U kno I was duin one of the activities that bring forth one o those 'chomas'!!...
ntakwambia....
Lemmi finish it kwanza....

bantutu said...

About friends: Ur luck's off spring if you can name 4 true ones...
Corn n maize...how das corn-choma go down?
I make a habit of eating wat I've cooked especially at night....actualli,come to think of it,its been ages sins I went out at night{female absens..hihi!!} aniway thing is you are ultimateli wat you eat...Juzi my cuzo brings his lady frend in my Keja at 9,
Sembe iliwanga imeungua MBAYA....
Chik incidentalli is at Uni 'th me...I can onli Imajin the ramifications....Don be fulld am a gret cook....*UKWELI!!!* hehe!!
Tor..who??!! They shuld b executed!! ...tortilla(sneering)...shafashi!!!!
Tele-vision...Uuuh....am blank..
Oh yeah! th accent thing totalli dissolves wen you switch to sheng' magic I tell you, magic!!!
BTW anibody who's watched 'the prestige' Talk!!!

May this year teach you some more...
Am layin low kidogo, blog assasins want me head....Case you was wondering yani...
Mwaka Mupia Mwega muno...

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

I am happy to know I am not the only one who feels the way I do about these things.
@ Loise, Princess, Majonzi, HNY again. Kaeni square.
@ Don_Q, thanks. Lakini, si people NOD their heads in agreement?
@ Pekiro, I have every intention of going back to build Kenya. Also the other day I read a chaps email. Ati Navumilia Kuwa Mkenya. Funny.
@vaga, I feel you sana. One of my bestest friends is the worst at communicating, but when we vibe, its too deadly. I know that even if I dont hear from her in 1 year we are still cool and when we vibe its like we onanad jana. I would die for that chika.
@ Ichiena, you will be surprised at how foolish a mwananchi can get after a ride in a jet plane. The same villagers salimia with a loose "wasup ma". Kubafffffff!
@Aco, ashana naye!
@ Bantu, I HAVE tried roasting corn. Mistake!! First it is so soft the dudes shrivel up into flacid tububbles full of milk and suger. One bit and your face is splashed with maziwa.
Izao you cannot make a gima? Aibu mbaya kabisa.

Don_quixote said...

Ati nod? is this a counter coz i refused to joint the "aringa roses" camp? SHAKES head in uchungu(pain). LOl i thought i was the only one who tried to roast the damned things and the milk ended up in my jicho ai the pain.

@Bantu lol pole sana wacha i console you by telling that i once served to my dad***this is one dude who critism ozzoes out of*** stew (which only the lord and of course i know of) had majani in it instead of salt. Confession over.

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Madam! For why would you put tea leaves in stew? For why?
Ati salt. Kwani you were cooking in a dark shimo?

Don_quixote said...

Actually i wasn't cooking in a rush and it just so happened that the salt container and the tea leaves container looked identical, and when iw as adding the salt i was looking at something else dont ask what.

bantutu said...

Majani for salt...
Gud thing I nabbed the crytal ball..hihi!!
We got issue gal big ones na ati leo am duin rice n....smthn smthn...

Prousette said...

That story of majani instead of salt is too funny. Wonder how it tasted?

Si tortillas and chapatis are different?
Happy New year!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

@D_q, yah yah yah, whatever you say. Should we ever meet, I'll pass on the beef stew. LOL
@Bantutu, this madam is a shocker.
@Prousette, yes they are different. Quite. Try telling that to the miro in saggy jeanaz, a b-ball singlet and a ngepa with the stickers intact. So incredibly shady!!

Anonymous said...

Well put! Now if only people listened!

Now dear, seasoning food with tea leaves, that's new. ROTFL

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello you.

Another thing you should learn...should you choose to, is that being black is being black is being black. and it follows you everywhere. Don't even get me started on being African. The other day my pals and i are chilling at a regular drink spot when this american on holiday in this beloved continent of ours, accuse us of stealing his friend's bag. WHAT!!! Anyway she eventually finds it and I, being unable to resist, decide to educate him. So i say, 'you can be born many things...white, male, american...but an ass hole you choose to become'. Dismal times, small pleasures.