Monday, January 29, 2007

That's my mummy.

I'm back.

I had an interesting conversation with my baby sister yesterday. It seems forces of darkness are making a play at our humble abode. Anyone who has a relative of friend who 'believes' more than the average mwananchi will understand this. According to mummy, and her fellow believers, who include close relatives (usually aunties) these forces come riding on strange objects and images.

I remember the artifacts that my pops has brought home from his world travels over the years with a lot of sadness. If only they had stuck around long enough to find a loving home where they were appreciated. They never had a chance in our house. Mother, on seeing them, would light a fire and set them ablaze. If they were not the burning type, she would take a hammer to them and destroy them good. Then she would say a prayer and rid the house of any residual 'darkness'. That's my mummy.

My cousin was once given a beautiful reggae coloured ngepa by her good friend. She made it home in time to catch the prayers, but not to save it from the flames. That's her mummy. Together they make up what I sometimes call the Hallelujah Squad.

So apparently the house is on high alert right now. Two foreign pieces have found their way into the house and mother is on her toes. She wants them destroyed, or at least gone from her house. That would have been easy, ten years ago. However, something has happened in that time that has made it a little more tricky for her. Her babies have grown into big men and women who are just as stubborn as she is. The difference is this. We want the works or art (or receptacles of evil, depending on who you ask) to not only be preserved, but put up to hang in all their glory. Mother is having a moment. A big one.

So far the huge mask (probably West African) has made it to the first wall you see on entering the house. My siblings are good like that. The other piece is still in storage. According to baby sister, this one is unlikely to see the light of day. At least not in that house. I wonder why? Surely a wall hanging depicting the Egyptian sun god and worshipers of said god can be allocated a spot in the home of a founding member of the Hallelujah Squad!

My brother knows that is not going to happen so he has suggested that it hang in his keja. Mum will not hear of such. Its his keja, but its outside her house. Plan C has been proposed. Why not give it to other big brother to hang in HIS house. That's all the way across town. Surely that is far enough from mother? Even I thought that was a good option. Mother's reply, "he's my son, so NO!". LOL. I asked sister dearest to see if shipping it to Nyeuthi would even come close to being considered. She laughed.

Too bad. I would love to have it. It would make a good addition to my wall of masks. If mother came visiting now we would 'have a talk'. God would probably be invited to that conversation. Reference material, Holy Bible. That's my mummy.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Si kwa ubaya but your ma comes off as an extremist of sorts. Were your fam allowed to watch tv,listen to music or talk to ppl of the opposite sex?
Are you a devout christian nowadays? Just want to know how it rubbed of you.

bantutu said...

Umenishaga na "Halelujia Squaddi"...All reggea paraphenalia I conceal mbaya! BTW "chant down babylon" is me kindda tunes...As 4 my travels heheheheh!! Nimepanda mat mara nyingi sana!! Heheh!!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Aco, our house was the most open one I knew growing up. We hanye (even when we were younger) bila issues. Even given the moti. Boys and girls were very welcome. Music and TV in excess.
Lakini si now even mother was allowed to do her thing. She is not really extremist at all. Sweetest mum in the world, just dont bring strange objects through the door. Its not a conflict issue at all, more like something we like to tease her (and the squad) about.
My faith has dwindled over the years. Nothing to do with mum, more like the crazy pastor. I'll bring that storo.

@Bantu, reggea is the realest. I'm with you there. What's with the kupanda mat mara nyingi?

Don_quixote said...

Aco you think her mum is an extreemist? you should meet mine.

@proud hun are you sure we are not sistos? the things i have seen done in the name of keep shetani at bay eish, mpaka at times i wonder if lucifer can do with one more lawyer helping his case.

Princess said...

LOL at your mom's refusal to have it at your bros house because he is her son!!!

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

Don_Q, were you ever annointed with oil before the hanye? Psychology aise! Prayers before the hang. The whole night you kaa chonjo. Hanyeing with angels will keep you in check!

@Princess, You don't even know....

Anonymous said...

Nyeuthi,
Too funny, sounds like my mum. Annointed before the hang and your guardian angel asked to accompany you (In Jesus' name! Have to say I believe that's one of the reasons we made it home safe with all that was going on back in the day.

G.O.

Anonymous said...

the plot thickens and the conversation proceeded o deteriorate some more.mother dearest proceeded to suggest that the only one who can be bequithed the hanging would be an egyptian who knows the said sun god personally.all other suggestions put forward "also have to be protected from the said lucifer after all they are also God's children".we are now in the process of trying to sneak out the merchendise,ssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Small sis

Unyc said...

Dont think any1 has a mum like mine. Long story.

Urs is hilarious...i'd hv so many of them on my walls then invite her for lunch...i need instant prayers anyway.

Anonymous said...

Its the "world" travelling that I've done...
..now on 2 Miss D..
...still bitching I see..take 2..

Anonymous said...

proud nyeuthi nice blog and what a mum! But she's only looking out for her kids. She comes across as a cool mum dspite the artifacts drama

PROUD NYEUTHI said...

LOL
@Anon1, I see we were clubbing with other annointed souls. Its a good thing. Mum letting us enjoy our lives but wanting to hakikisha saitan ameshikwa ngeta. We did always get home safe.

@Anon2, (who by now yo'll must have realised is baby sis reporting from ground zero), where will mother find an Egyptian "who knows this god personally"? Keep me posted. I predict you will go home one day and find her in the backyard watching the flames consume that sun god. Won't be the first time.

@Unyc, I wouldnt do that to mother. If I had such things in my house and knew she was coming I would take them down. No need to weka her mapressure.

@Bantu, there you go again with miss D...

@farmgal, she super cool, when she's not being a communist! hehehehe

bantutu said...

Ei mammie kwani uli..?

Anonymous said...

Chika, mum putting vikwazo on which 'vessels' may adorn her walls to prevent exposure by pepo mbaya. Reminds me of my mum and the rastafarian movement...stuff for another post.

Unyc said...

WHere u at??

Umemisororokio sana sana....

Anonymous said...

Ai!! kwani all mothers are the same??.. Us even when a moth gets into the house ni shetani na ashindwe!!

Lol ati Halelluhya Squad??!! Kwetu we're all stubborn so, she just has to let us be...

@ Bantuts.. reggea... Akina Sizla eh..

:. Just Sue.:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

we had a tasmanian devil stuufed animal in our house, iliked it very cuddly my moms peep came to visit She was like " devil? that the himself nyamu taishi nicio bla bla bla......before long Taz was gone.

Anonymous said...

Your mother is just the one! Similar things happened in our homestead. When things became abit to crazy i remember being taken for some classes at some place in Kawangware, Chrisco Church to learn more about the Lord God Almighty.